Friday, December 13, 2013

Friday the 13th and I can't taste all the salts!

Day 11 was a blush caramel. 
This is another one of  the subtle caramels that I find don’t taste all that different from the wink of the rabbit.  There is a slight citrus flavor but not as strong as the Tarte caramel.  I enjoyed the taste of these very much

Day 12 was a sad sad day.

I knew one sad day this would happen:  I finally found a Vosges chocolate that I really don’t like.  As I’ve mentioned in the past, Vosges can be very aggressive with their flavor profiles and sometimes they just don’t work.  I found that the Smoke and Stout chocolates were just way too much for me.  The combination of stout and burnt sugar caramel just made everything taste burnt.  It was bitter and sour and just didn’t work for me.


 Day 13 was the fantastic peanut butter bonbon from the third day.  I wonder though, is there really any difference between Maldon salt and pink Himalayan salt?  Through extensive Google research, (by which I mean I googled Himalayan salt and found the first entry), Himalayan pink crystal salt is supposed to have more mineral elements than other salts.  This is also supposed to make it healthier for you.  (Though if you think about it, ingesting large amounts of any kind of sodium isn’t too great for your health…)  

I went and looked up Maldon salt because this is also in the bonbon.  And they have a special page on what salt it.  Just in case you don’t know what it is or does.  Also according to Wikipedia salts can elicit “all five basic tastes” so that complicates things a bit.  Though the salt that we think of is just plain ol’ sodium.  The truth is that salts should taste different because they come from different sources with different mineral compositions.  But hey, if you can’t taste the subtle differences than salt is salt.  And at this point, who cares, because my chocolates are already gone and I’m looking forward to the next treats!



No comments:

Post a Comment