Monday, August 10, 2009

Weekly Bar Brawl- Hachez blackberry

So since I've been so lazy at updating this blog as of late, and seeing as I will be even more lazy updating it next week when I will be in Japan with no internet, I thought I'd do a blogging speed run of sorts and post my review of a bar a day for the next week.

The first bar is a Hachez Blackberry 77 % Dark Chocolate with Cocoa Nibs.
So this is one of those bars that bothers me alot. They claim to be "all natural" and talk about the quality of their ingredients. And yet there is that red flag "natural flavorings." I'm always a little wary of flavors being added to chocolate. I'm a purist. Chocolate doesn't need much to make it good. But ok maybe I'm overreacting right? This is blackberry flavored chocolate after all. How else are you going to get the flavoring into it unless you flavor it?

The beans in this chocolate are supposed to be an arriba variety from Ecuador, for what that's worth anyhow.

Unfortunately this chocolate, as with many other flavored chocolates I've had, left a really bad aftertaste in my mouth. I could smell the fragrant blackberries, which for some reason reminded me of the kind of perfume you get as a little girl (don't ask me why), even before I opened the gold wrapper. The blackberries seemed to cover up the fact that the chocolate was lacking something.

One other thing to note that the ingredients list also includes lemon acid. I wonder if this is what left the bitter aftertaste. I can understand that the lemon acid was used to balance out the blackberry flavor, but it seems a little overpowering for me.

All in all I give this bar a 2/5 stars (and yes I have stars now! BOOYAH~! :) )

No comments:

Post a Comment